HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

FIRST MIGRATING BALTIMORE ORIOLE AT MY BIRD BATH

FIRST MIGRATING BALTIMORE ORIOLE AT MY BIRD BATH

This is the time of year that I start seeing migrating birds at my bird bath.
It's such a fun time of year for me.
This oriole has been here since Sunday morning.  I saw a beautiful male oriole fly across my yard.  Usually, I see a couple of them first and then several.  These might be scouts.
Yesterday, I saw a large dark speckled bird bathing, but not sure what it was and didn't get a picture.
The sparrows and doves always guard the bird bath and when they start suddenly gathering, I know a new bird is nearby and coming for a drink and a bath.  That oriole was fighting with a sparrow and the oriole won and took a good splashy bath.
The flower bed around the bird bath was overgrown and there were a few tall pot plants close by.  So, a few days ago, I cleaned out the weeds and moved everything tall.  Last year I noticed that the birds were a little bit leery about landing on the bird bath.  I think they were afraid predators might be hiding.  They have a clear path, now.
I always notice that most of the migrating birds come in front of a cold front and there's one on the way.  I think it will be here tomorrow night or Thursday.
I'm ready!! and, will be taking as many pictures as I can and will be sharing them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment