HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Sunday, October 6, 2013

MY FANCY, BEAUTIFUL MOSAIC GUTTER DRAINS

A few months ago, I decided I needed gutters on one part of my house.  There was just too much water coming down in that one area.  Gus is the guy who helps me a lot and I asked him to install the gutters.  I went to the hardware store and got some of those roll out bright green water diverters to attach to the bottom of the downspout.  I kept looking at those and knew I just could not live with such a plain, common downspout.  I knew this was an opportunity to create!!
Gus and I designed these and I just LOVE the way they look.  I already had the rocks and the decorative tiles.  As he was building the drains with concrete, I placed the tiles and rocks.
I had several metal birds and thought they would look so beautiful on my downspout that looks like a river or waterfall.  They are bright metallic gold and I smeared concrete on them to make them look messy and old. (Old is what I do in my work and love things to look old.)
This is the other one.  Over time, it will get more and more stained and I'll love that. 
 I might even paint some stain on the areas that are not getting naturally stained by the water off of my roof.
Gus dug and put a pvc pipe under my rock walk to divert the water.  Look who now calls it his/her home.  That big ol' toad frog is always in there during the day and comes out at night.
While the concrete was still wet, I asked Gus to put a few of these tiles along my rock walk and I added this little cement dove.  Gus was wiping and cleaning the concrete from the tiles and I asked him to smear and smudge the concrete ON them.  I think that looks old and when they finally get stained from weather, they'll look really nice, (to me).
Excuse me!! I'm trying to take a picture, here!!!
Charlie and Punkin started playing in my way.
I live on a hill and am always working to divert water from going under my house. So, I asked Gus to build this rock border to keep excessive rain water from flowing under the studio part of my home.
I just took this picture and am very proud and happy to say it rained last night and this morning as a cold front was coming through.  We have been in a horrible drout and really appreciate any rain that comes our way.

48 comments:

  1. Very creative! I have a rain barrel under each of our drainpipes or I might be tempted to do something like you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My downspouts are in such tight places, I wouldn't want a rain barrel there. Such a good idea, though.

      Delete
  2. You did get creative with the downspout. It looks wonderful. I like the little birds and I almost missed the cute frog. Thanks for sharing, great idea! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really do like looking at them, when I'm walking by.

      Delete
  3. They sure look better than the alternative! Just. lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful idea and they look fantastic. Wishing you a blessed week.Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It wasn't hard to do and I love the way they turned out.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful idea! I hate to think now how dull and plain ours look! Enjoy your week! You shared a lovely mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO creative! I love it! If I didn't live in this historical house that we don't own, I would steal your idea! And you've made a little home for Froggy too! Love the bird touch! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun putting it all together. I'm wanting it to look like an old home. And, Mr. Froggy OWNS it, now :)

      Delete
  7. What beautiful little pools for the rain to end in. Such a creative idea. I'll bet Mr. Frog loves bathing there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love how they look against my house and rock walk.

      Delete
  8. I am not sure where I came across your blog, but I love it. You had me at the header.

    I am your newest follower and after I hit publish I am adding your blog to my blog list.

    I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I've visited your blog several times and always love your colors. I'm following, too.

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous idea. Love it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very creative way of diverting the water. I have not seen something like this. The tiles look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! And, they really do divert the water very well. If it rains while I'm home, I can't help but keep watching how they work.

      Delete
  11. That is beautiful! It looks like a place where garden fairies would hang out when you're not looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for posting to Garden Tuesday. I love this!!!! I want to do something like this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know someone building a beach house and I was thinking they could do this and put dolphins on it. Many possibilities. Have fun creating your's!!

      Delete
  13. Hi Lynda, so happy to find that you have another blog. I love the fun and creative drain spouts you have created! I used concrete to cover the cracks in my curbing and then added small rock pebbles to it to give it a similar look. You have taken it a lot further by adding the fun tiles and birds. Love it! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jann, I really love this blog and sharing my home and nature happening in my yard. I love using the little rocks and bet your curbing looks really nice.

      Delete
  14. I just love these areas that you have made. It is creating a yearning to do the same here. Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Upi're giving us some good ideas here! love the little tiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found those at a Mexican tile company and they were on sale. Lucky me!!

      Delete
  16. Hi Lynda,
    What a fun and creative way to divert water away from your home! Very attractive, and I love the frog who comes to visit. Perchance there are fairies too? Thanks for sharing at my HOME and enjoy your weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just betcha fairies do live around here. I feel their presence!

      Delete
  17. what a wonderful idea!!! Beautiful!
    I am so happy that I had some time to pop over here today and see what you shared!
    Thank you so much for joining in on my little party this week! I hope to see you again soon! Have a great weekend!
    Your post today has been shared to the Tootsie Time Facebook page!

    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    --
    www.tootsietime.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great idea!! I love it.... Thank you for sharing at One More Time Events..hugs Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your gutters, works of art!!! Such a creative way to handle a problem, they are so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! They're working right now because it's raining..yay!!

      Delete
  20. These are beautiful and create art with function! Thanks for sharing this at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved working on them and love the way the water flows on them when it rains.

      Delete
  21. So smart and creative! I love it!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! This is awesome! I'm Pinning this!
    I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! and, thank you for pinning it. I think anyone could have fun designing their very own gutter drains.

      Delete
  23. Lynda, What a fantastic design for rain gutters. You are such a wonderful artist in everything you create! Thanks for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays. I always love seeing what projects you're working on.
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jody! I have really loved my mosaic gutter drains. They're right where I walk and look out the french door.

      Delete