HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Sunday, September 20, 2015

LOVING THIS TIME OF YEAR ~ MIGRATING BALTIMORE ORIOLES VISITING MY GARDEN

LOVING THIS TIME OF YEAR ~ MIGRATING BALTIMORE ORIOLES VISITING MY GARDEN

 Lots of hummingbirds are buzzing around my flowers.  I think a lot of them are passing through on their way south.  Usually, I see them chasing each other away from the feeder and nectar sources.  But, two of them were getting along just fine and I wonder about that.
 Are they family?
This year, September has been an easy work month with a lot of artwork at home, instead of going to my clients' homes.  Because of that, I have seen the most beautiful migrating birds visiting my yard.  I have lots of pictures and will share them with you soon.  It's mostly orioles and little yellow birds I haven't identified.  One was a yellow warbler.  Other tiny yellow birds come in flocks and stay for a while then move on south.
Last year, I was very busy working away from home and missed a lot.
I've seen a couple of monarch butterflies around my butterfly weed that I grow just for them.  I'll check for eggs.  Last year this happened on their way to Mexico.  I found out that the butterflies hatching from those eggs would not be heading to Mexico.  They would stay here and wait for spring.  Their plight is so interesting.  There are lots of videos if you google monarch migration.  There are lots of other butterflies in my yard, too.  I find that when all of the birds are finished feeding their young, butterflies are no longer a delicacy for them.
I just looked out my kitchen window and there is a monarch butterfly fluttering around the butterfly weed.  I can always tell a monarch because they flutter their wings differently.  I don't have a lot of them, yet.  Soon there will be more because their migration south started a few weeks ago. 
This is such a good time of year for nature.
The weather is finally cooling off.
Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying the birds and butterflies in the garden lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, fall and spring are especially interesting for migrating birds and changes in nature.

      Delete