HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Saturday, September 15, 2012

MY RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS ARE FINALLY HERE FOR THE WINTER

     Every year I get rufous hummingbirds and they stay the winter.  They travel all the way from Canada and Alaska.  I've read that they winter in Mexico, but I always have them at my feeders, all winter.
     Sometimes, I can tell that certain ones have returned from year to year.  Some of them hover a certain way, some of them squeak a lot and it's easy to recognize them.  Recently, I moved my feeder from one area to a few feet away to a different window.  A few minutes ago, I was in the kitchen and a rufous hummingbird, (I guess he just got to town), went to where the feeder used to be and kept hovering, like he was looking for it and then saw the new one and flew to it.  That was so neat to see!!  I love watching and learning about animal behavior!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment