HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Saturday, December 13, 2014

LOOK!! IT'S DECEMBER 13, AND I JUST FOUND MONARCH CATERPILLARS ON MY BUTTERFLY WEED

LOOK!!  IT'S DECEMBER 13, AND I JUST FOUND MONARCH CATERPILLARS ON MY BUTTERFLY WEED


LOOK what I just found!!
Monarch caterpillars.  
I counted nine of them, but there are probably several more that I didn't see.
I saw some droppings on my window sill and thought it was seeds until I looked closer.
Then, I saw the caterpillars.


Just a few weeks ago, a few monarchs were still here and I kept thinking they'd better move on or they would get caught in the cold.  They finally left for good when a really cold front came through.  But, they left behind some eggs.
These caterpillars are probably at least two weeks old and just big enough that they had better hurry and start their cocoons.  It's going to take about two weeks for them to become a butterfly and it might be really cold by then.  
They need to get on down to Mexico!


When it started getting really cold, I put all of these butterfly weed plants close to my studio windows.  I was hoping it would keep them warm and they wouldn't freeze.  
I guess the caterpillars have been warm, too.
Thank goodness they had something to eat.

9 comments:

  1. I found quite a few in my garden, but we have warm weather here in SO CA. They are so pretty and I love watching them.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching them, too. I'm so fascinated that they change colors and grow wings. Especially in such a short time.

      Delete
  2. how wonderful!! they are becoming extinct and i worry about them! you are so lucky to have them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very special to me. I'm a bit concerned because the weather is not the best for butterflies to survive.

      Delete
  3. What a strange but gorgeous surprise! I do hope they make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a surprise to find the caterpillars. I'm concerned that it's this time of year, but nature will take care of itself. I'll be here to help a little bit.

      Delete