HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

MONARCH CATERPILLAR SPINNING HER CHRYSALIS

MONARCH CATERPILLAR SPINNING HER CHRYSALIS


One of the monarch caterpillars is ready to start her new life.


She attached herself to the bottom of this birdhouse by my rock walk, so I'll get to see it all the time.  Right now, she's slowly moving and I'm guessing she's spinning her chrysalis.  I'll be eager to look in the morning to see if she's all covered up.


Several of the other caterpillars are still on the butterfly weed and on my window frames.  Today, they're very still and I'm thinking it's because it's been a cool day.  I'm worried about them because by the time they come out of their chrysalises, it might be really cold.
Their mission is survival of the species and I really hope they make it.  
The monarch butterflies who laid these eggs were here kind of late and I was thinking some of them actually hatched in my garden.
Good luck to these little ones! 
 I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment