HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

MONARCH CATERPILLAR CHRYSALIS IN DECEMBER

MONARCH CATERPILLAR CHRYSALIS IN DECEMBER


I'm amazed!!  
This monarch caterpillar finished spinning her chrysalis in less than twenty four hours.
I think she will leave her chrysalis in about 14 days.
So, I'll let you know when she has her wings.


It really touches my heart. 
To me, it truly is a wonder of nature.
Several of the other caterpillars still have not moved since yesterday.  I think they need the sun and we might not see the sun for another couple of days.  
I'll be watching closely.
One time, there was a monarch chrysalis in my garden in direct sunlight and I saw a metallic gold ring around it.  I don't see that gold ring on this one, yet.

I just googled the difference between a cocoon and a chrysalis and this is what it said:

"Butterflies hatch from a chrysalis, a life stage made of a hardened protein. A cocoon is spun from silk and surrounds the pupa of many moths."

2 comments: