HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Saturday, December 21, 2013

BACK TO THIS GIANT TOAD FROG IN MY GARDEN

Today, I was afraid the rain coming in with this cold front would pass us by.  But, it's raining a nice soft shower with a little thunder, right now.  I love this kind of homemade chicken soup weather.
Thinking we might get some rain, yesterday I got on my ladder and checked my gutter guards to make sure nothing was blocking the screens.
When I was on my ladder, I noticed some broken shingles and went to investigate.  I think a raccoon must have tried to dig into my roof, but was unsuccessful, thank goodness!  Dear, sweet Gus has been my go-to guy whenever I needed help with something I couldn't do, myself.  But, recently Gus found out that he has liver cancer and is undergoing chemo right now.  
So, since he can't take care of those shingles, I'm pretty sure I can do it.  I'll post pictures when I get up there to do the repairs.
In the meantime, back to our giant resident 
TOAD FROG:


The handle on that bucket is 3 1/2" wide and that frog is bigger.  I'm telling you, it's a giant frog.
A couple of days ago, I saw it sitting on the rocks by the fish pond and was acting really sluggish.  I figured something had interrupted his hibernation.  He always startles me, because he's just so big.  I came in and googled this picture to make sure he's a toad frog and not some scary poisonous african frog.  But, he has the exact same markings as a toad frog, so I guess he is.
While I was watching him, Punkin jumped up on the rocks and kind of starting carefully sniffing him.  That frog gently lunged at her like "lea me alone" and I told her to get down.  Then, being curious she jumped up there again and the frog gently lunged at her, again.


I went on about my business, but kept watching the frog.  Finally, he made it to a pile of leaves on the edge of the fish pond and scooted under the rocks, trying to get back to his snoozing.
I don't know how long he will live, but he has been an interesting part of my backyard garden.
And, it's still raining!

2 comments:

  1. In a former home, we had neighbors with a spectacular back yard and a pond filled with frogs. I loved to listen to their croaking as I fell asleep each night,

    Take care doing your own handiwork.

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it can be a soothing sound of nature. I promise I'll be careful!!

    ReplyDelete