HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Monday, May 27, 2013

NO NEW BUTTERFLY EGGS ON MY FENNEL, YET

     Today, I've been checking my fennel to see if there are new butterfly eggs.  None, yet.  And, I've been wondering how the butterfly knows not to lay anymore eggs on a plant that already has eggs or small caterpillars.  I've noticed that, before.  Once there are eggs and hatched babies, you don't see any new eggs.  There are several butterflies at one time in my yard every day, but they don't go to that plant.  How does she know not to crowd a host plant?


     Yesterday, when I was walking Charlie, I heard a commotion in the sky.  Three large black grackles were chasing a hawk and squawking at him.  Either, the hawk got too close to their nest or he was trying to get to the babies.  But, it was interesting to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment