HomeMy GardenFeathered VisitorsGood Info

Saturday, June 1, 2013

TEENY TINY CATERPILLARS & MAMA MOCKINGBIRD MAKING BABY BIRD SOUNDS

     Today, there were some teeny tiny black swallowtail caterpillars on the fennel.  I could hardly see them, but counted five.  I will keep feeding the fennel and other herbs in that pot, so they'll have plenty to eat as they grow.  It's so interesting to watch them grow.  Every few days, they will shed one phase and are a different color from before.  Finally, they end up white, green, yellow and black and stay those colors until they wiggle off to hide and become a beautiful butterfly.
     And, the mama mockingbird is still right there on that branch making those detracting noises at my cats.  Every once in a while, I'll hear the babies in their nest and now, the mama has started "mocking" their baby sounds in between her other tweets/chirps to confuse my cats.  She's sooo smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment